an egg is an egg...meditating at the Museo Miró in Barcelona

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

MAZE at the London

Birthday lunch today at MAZE at 151 W54th Street in NYC of Gordon Ramsay fame. What a great experience. I had read the luncheon menu on the website; well everything had changed. The prix fixe lunch is now $29 with their choice of starter, one choice of two entrée and their choice of dessert.

Very hotel lobby type room [which it is actually in the London Hotel] which reminds me a lot of db bistro in Miami, also in a lobby. Soft turquoise colors with a lot of naturals, no cloth on tables, nice bar and large open room. Waitstaff very professional but cordial. My waiter, Chris, was Filipino and we chatted a little in Tagalog.



The bread is addictive [coming from a nearby bakery and not done in house]. Bottled water from France [Saint Geron $10]. Gazpacho was the starter and served in two parts; a quenelle of vegs and tiny bread cubes with chili oil in bowl and then the gazpacho itself in a small pitcher. Nice presentation. The choices for entrées were Amish Chicken Breast or Crispy Salmon. I chose the salmon cooked perfectly and served a mound on most wild rice and nested on shaved asparagus [a first for me]. Also ordered a side of Broccoli Rabe [$7] which needed a hint of salt. When I asked Chris for this to be done, he took it from the table and it appeared back just right. Hoping for a screaming visit from the Hell's Kitchen Chef from Hell to tell me not to mess with his seasonings but he never appeared. So I ordered a glass of Sauvignon Blanc [$15] to accompany the salmon to ward off any other evil spirits. 





The dessert was Vanilla Custard over a layer of preserve which I could not identify and then festooned with macerated fruit bits and a dollop of crème fraîche. This was accompanied by chocolate truffles [4 of them] so they got put into a little presentation bag with the Gordon Ramsay logo. I told the waiter that this was to be taken home for my birthday.


A pot of coffee [$8] with warmed milk and real sugar cubes for after dinner. I was then presented with a birthday surprise of a ball of raspberry sorbet with a candle in it on a plate painted with Happy Birthday in chocolate syrup.



blognote: Tried one of the chocolate truffles last night and they are filled with salted caramel WOW!

No comments: