an egg is an egg...meditating at the Museo Miró in Barcelona

Thursday, August 09, 2018

The Tavern at Keney Park


Went back to explore the possibility of using this place for one of my mystery lunches. Yes! Will be back with a big table full of elders soon. Had the Grilled Cheese Dog and it was powerful and the onion rings were perfect.



July 7, 2018

Took my stepmother, a Hartford oldie, and my sister from Florida to lunch during out tour of our city of birth. Stopped at The Tavern at Keney Park for a very nice lunch on a gorgeous summer day. It had been quite hot during the week and this was the cool-off day. Everyone enjoyed themselves. Mom had the Par 3 Dog with sweet potato fries and sister had the Kitchen Sink Salad with grilled chicken so they were pretty satisfied. I had The Local’s Only Salad [$11] with Keney park arugula & roasted beets + creamy goat cheese vinaigrette basil + sea salt + locally sourced berries + mark’s apiary farm of glastonbury honey. I added some avocado [$2] [they were out of grilled shrimp]. Thought the salad was a little underdressed but I ended up perfect. We each had a Good Humor ice cream bar so mine was Toasted Almond [$2.50] and they each had the Chocolate Eclair version. All in all, a fantastic day!

July 22, 2017

Went for a Hartford Restaurant Week adventure and found a restaurant that needs more than one stop to fully enjoy a terrific menu. This is a place you want to call home!  The Tavern at Keney Park is set within the beautifully kept Keney Park Golf Course. Never having played golf [I caddied and that ended that pastime] this was only my second visit to the park. Last year I performed there as the Great Blue Heron in Night Fall.


Started with the Bayou Catfish Bites with Bayou ketchup and my dining partner had the Fried Green Tomatoes with a Romesco dipping sauce. I like mine better than hers and visa versa. Her choice for entrée was the Carolina Hickory Smoked BBQ Brisket with Jalapeño-Bacon Cornbread and Corn on the Cob. She is a real judge of brisket and rated this one of the best ever. My 'tiny' taste agreed with her. My half a bird of Sweet Tea Fried Chicken was luscious. This included corn on the cob and a buttermilk biscuit. Some of that chicken came home with me and I am anxiously awaiting tonight's leftovers.


blognote: We sat outside under the tent with great service. ALSO they are one of the few to offer the deal for $20.17 to reflect the present year. So many of the other restaurants got lost in their calendars and skipped to $30.17.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Sounds delicious and you always have such good company. Wish I were there!